I found this article from the “innerspace” centre here in England in Covent Garden, whilst I was clearing out my emails this morning.
It’s a good one, so I thought I’d share it with my friends in cyber-space.
As a matter of fact, I’m thinking of changing the way I relate to the term “bad habits”…from now on, I’m going to call it “unproductive behaviour”. That motivates me to change things which have no purpose, rather than beating myself up over something that I perceive to be “bad”. This is a more positive and loving way to look at change & personal evolution, I think!
Breaking Bad Habits
Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of. How to break bad habits:
- focus on changing just one habit at a time
- acknowledge how the habit dis-empowers you
- realise how you alone can break the habit, no-one else can do it for you
- separate yourself from your habit and understand that you aren’t your habit
- visualise yourself without the habit
- replace the bad habit with something positive
- don’t focus on the “not doing”, but instead, focus on ” doing” the positive action
- don’t beat yourself up when you slip up, just break the habit as many times as it takes
Maybe we can take some of these tips to leave unproductive habits behind us, with regard to our VoiceOver careers as well!
I’ve started monitoring my auditioning, marketing efforts, etc. in journals on my iPodTouch. I’m finding this makes it much easier for me to keep track of things and see just how diligently I’m working (or not working) on the various aspects needed to keep a VoiceOver career more often in full bloom, vs languishing.
Take care friends, and thanks for all of your much appreciated support!